Thursday, October 8, 2015

Warsawa

After spending a couple of weeks travelling through Poland, I thought I'd try to squeeze in one last samba adventure before heading home. 

When I'm visiting a different city I sometimes have a quick search for local samba groups to impose myself upon. Hoping that the samba stars align, yet understanding that there is a fair amount left to chance:

- Finding a bateria online in the local lingo.
- Sending an hopeful email in English, asking if I can gatecrash a practice.
- Being in the right place, at the right time, on the right day.  
- Avoiding the summer shut down, when even the most ardent sambista pretends that they have a life outside of their band.
- Succumbing to the pressures of conducting a 'normal' holiday and taking some pictures of actual touristic sights.
- Distracted by beer.

However... my luck was in!!





Irek runs a very cool bateria called Bloco Central in Warsaw. A great group of friendly souls who play some wicked samba. He invited me to both rehearse with the team and play with them for the Warsaw Marathon (to enthuse runners in the final throes of twenty six miles of self inflicted pain and agony). Uber generous of them to offer, and I was well pleased for the practice as my caixa skills had suffered at the hands of cheap vodka and more kotlet schabowy than you waggle a stick at.



Go to Poland!!

No comments:

Post a Comment